Wednesday, August 20, 2008

we are here

we made it. a gizzilion bajilion miles and seven hundred hours in airports -- I recommend that you read what we wrote in the guestbook of the Zurich Airport Terminal A kids playroom, just if you are passing through, under a pseudonym of course, just to make it challenging -- and now we are here in Jerusalem (Tel-Aviv airport was disappointingly orderly and the people unforgivably well-behaved. Coming from Zurich where everything runs like a swiss watch dipped in chocolate I was hoping for the full-on middle eastern garbanzo when we got out of the plane). My first act in the new digs was to take a bath... My back was killing me from lugging 7 out of 8 bags, each packed to a maximum capacity of 40 lbs. ("Why 7 out of 8?" you may ask. That is a good question that missing eighth bag. where is it, what happened to it... but more about that in future posts). Did I mention that my mother-in-laws (beautiful) appartment where we are staying is up two flights of stairs. My mild cold had also turned into plague somewhere over the Atlantic, so a bath seemed right in order for muscle relaxation and sinus draining. And guess what... When I looked at it THE BATH WAS DEEP. When I got in it, I felt it to be deep. I could also open up the door to the storage/laundry room and see a little sliver of sky. What can I say about the sky over Jerusalem? It's blue, its a little grey, a little pink. Very sky-y. And I was feeling like this was very satisfactory and possibly transplendant when I realized that being able to see the sky out of your bath is not such an unusual thing. And then it occurred to me that maybe the bath wasn't so deep. Maybe it was an optical illusion because it was so short (which was no optical illusion, it was for sure short). My knees were bent, maybe the bath just seemed deeper. Which is what happens when you go away, especially to a place like Jerusalem with an august and historic name. The bath seems deeper than a regular bath and you just can't tell if it is you, or the bath.
The boys did fabulously well on the trip and have been playing happily with a bionacle that their grandmother got them for the last 2 hours so as far as they are concerned the whole thing was worth it.
Ariela has unpacked and ordered everything while I have done nothing but groan since I dropped the seventh (of eight) bags on the stone floor.
That and take a bath. I have reached no firm conclusion about its depth. Maybe its just the neo-citran talking. Love J

No comments: