Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Charlie and the Great Glass Election Campaign

Sorry I have been absent for a bit. The weather has changed. Perhaps, lizard-like, the cool is slowing me down. I understand it snowed in Montreal a week or so ago. I have to wear long pants now. (When I told Rob that he threatened to ship me a container load of snow come January.) Today it was downright chilly with on again off again rain.
I was also held up because I was trying to make something silly about the Jerusalem municipal elections (sillier than the elections themselves), but it turns out that Jerusalemite.net has done most of the work for me. They have a good piece on it including a lot of the jokes I had intended to make about the various campaign signs to which all I can add is that Benjamin Netanyahu wins the award for sourest punim in the campaign. Despite the fact that he is not running for anything, since Likud is running a slate of candidates for municipal council (with the slogan "likud will protect jerusalem") his face is up everywhere including at the intersection of derech hevron and ein gedi where I have to cross each morning and he looks down at me as if he had caught me personally planning a terrorist act or at least doing something that smells bad. If indeed there are general elections here I may have to go into hiding.
I finished Iris Leal a few weeks ago for those who are keeping track. I can't say I recommend it though it did retain its principal appeal from start to finish which was that it was short. I am now reading Dudu Busi as recommened by my friend at Jaffa Books and quite liking it. I occasionally read a whole story without the aid of a dictionary. In the first one actually, the only vocabulary I had trouble with was tsingle ("joint") and something that I thought said muntsies ("munchies") which gives you some idea of what the general tone of the book is.
Benjamin, Ariela and I are reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in Hebrew also which is good fun. Roald Dahl's books are all available in Hebrew and English at the local kids library which strikes me as a little weird since the guy was a raving anti-Semite. Maybe it is some sort of reparations thing. You have to hand it to him though he could sure write and it translates well. I was saddened though to see though that Veruca Salt -- one of the great literary names of all times -- is called "Rika Paprika" in the Hebrew translation. I am assuming it was changed so as not to give the Umpalumpahs too much trouble making up a rhyme about her as the squirrels drop her down the hole for bad nuts.

No comments: