Saturday, September 6, 2008

Kosher Bra and books.

Ariela went shopping for a bra on Yafo street. She said she found little bra shop where "all the ladies were four x four and 70 years old." The store had a teudat kashrut (kosher certification) posted on the wall. Anyway. She bought a bra, which she says does everything you want a bra to do, though it is, as you would expect workman-like. But it is kosher which is the important thing.
In other news, I found a nice bookstore while wandering the other day. What I liked about it is that the owner tells customers what they should buy. I came in and asked for Etgar Keret. He said he didn't have any, but what I really should be reading was A.B. Yehoshua's short stories. I told him what I liked about Etgar Keret was that his stories were so short. He got that. I said I also liked that they were funny. That lead to a discussion about how in Israel what's funny is actually sad and how Noel Coward doesn't work in Israel, because nobody wants bedroom farce, here, they want sad, uncomfortable comedy. At that point, a young Israeli guy came in and asked for the "Curious incident of the dog at midnight". The owner got it for him, he looked it over and said he didn't think it was for him. "Recommend me something," said the guy, which, as somebody who once worked in a bookstore, I can tell you is a pretty tricky proposition. "What did you read and like?" asked the owner which is not a bad way to get some information but when the guy told him what he had read and liked the bookstore owner told him "You should stop reading that stuff. Here try this," and handed him Yesh Yaladim Zigzag (Sideways Kids? sorry not sure the English title) by David Grossman. "Nah," said the young guy. The bookstore owner tried a few more, but nothing doing. "Funny," I said. "I'm from abroad and I want Israeli writers. He's from Israel, he wants foreign writers."
"That's because he doesn't think an Israeli can write about life," said the store keeper. "That's right," said the young Israel guy. I think he might have ended up with something by ג'ון גרישם (that's the author of the Pelican Brief et. al.). In the end, I bought "In the Alleys" by Dudu Busi on the recommendation of my friend, the store owner, with the strong literary tastes. An added bonus; they are short. I'll give a full review in three or four months when I've read one or two (I'm still working Iris Leal).
Finally, I have been enjoying the animations of Ruth Selwyn a.k.a. Lizzie the Lezzie, who is -- in addition to being a very funny character -- an Israeli. This video is Lizzie's rave review of being gay/lesbian in the Holy Land, sort of homosexual hasbarah (that's propogranda). It is definitely PG-13 and since this is a family blog I'm not posting the video but follow the link and enjoy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Iris Leal? Nono, you want to read Ursula K Leguin and Bill Bryson.

jeremyw said...

spoken like a true opinionated bookstore guy